This is my update post for the 7th week of GSoC. The next evaluation phase is slowly approaching and it is still a lot of work to do.
This week I started to work on integrating encryption in my Jingle File Transfer code. I’m very pleased, that only very minor changes are required to my OMEMO code. The OmemoManager just has to implement a single interface with two methods and that’s it. The interface should be pretty forward to implement in other encryption methods as well.
Unfortunately the same is not true for the code I wrote during the GSoC. There are many things I haven’t thought about, which require major changes, so it looks like I’ll have to rethink the concept once again. My goal is to make the implementation so flexible, that description (eg. video chat, file transfer…), transport (eg. Socks5, IBB…) and security (XTLS, my Jet spec etc.) can be mixed in arbitrary ways without adding in glue code for new specifications. Flow told me, this is going to get complicated, but I want to try anyway :D. For “safety” reasons, I’ll keep a seperate working branch in case the next iteration does not turn out as I want.
Yesterday Flow found an error in smack-omemo, which caused bundles not getting fetched. The mistake I made was, that a synchronous CarbonListener was registered in the packet-reader thread. This caused the packet-reader thread to timeout on certain messages, even though the stanzas arrived. It is nice to have this out of the way and it was a good lesson about the pitfalls of parallel programming.
While reading the Jingle File Transfer XEP I also found some missing XML schemes and proposed to replace the usage of xs:nonNegativeInteger and xs:positiveNumber with xs:unsignedLong to simplify/unify the process of implementing the XEP.
Thats basically it for this week. Unfortunately I have an upcoming exam at university next week, which means even less free time for me, but I’ll manage that. In the worst case I always have a second try on the exam 🙂